Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Assignment 2

It was not that long ago that we watched a video in class where a camera crew went around a college campus and asked student their thoughts on Feminism. They asked college aged students and even some people who seemed to be more into their adult years. Most of the answers were the same and it seemed as though the people stumbled with their answers because it is not a topic they think about on a normal basis. I know I have never sat down and had a conversation with another person on just what exactly feminism is.
I do not have a feminism story but I have something I think I can write about. Even though we have only met for 3 weeks in class my views on Feminism are starting to become more stronger. Before Fall classes started, I asked all my friends what they were taking and they asked me. The conversation would always take a turn when I mentioned I had Womens Studies. They would always ask what is that and then give their definititon of what they think a feminist is. Most of their answers sounded like the responses in the video.
The responses painted a picture of an angry woman. A manhater who is mad at the world and would not take it anymore. I ever heard lesbians mentioned. This portrayal could not be more wrong. Are feminists angry? Well yes I am sure they are of being treated unequal. Over the past few weeks I have learned that is basically what they stand for, equality. The sexuality of a feminist doesnt matter. Nor are these woman manhaters. Instead they are tired of being treated unequal. While they have many freedoms today not enjoyed by many women in the past decades, there is still work to be done.
In our last class we talked about significant women in the history of Women's Rights. The story of Alice Paul and Lucy Burns inspired women all across the country. They were essential in gaining women the right to vote. There are women today who are still hard at work in pursuing equality for women. I think it will be interesting to see in a few years who has stepped up to the fight. I think one of the reasons the first waves of feminism was so successful was becasuse they had a face that represented them. I am not saying that today feminism is not alive or not strong, there just isnt a centrailized figure to identify with the struggle. I think once a figure emerges into the spotlight that this third wave will start to make alot more noise in the race for equality.

1 comment:

  1. I like your take on this assignment. I'm glad to hear your ideas about and awareness of feminism has been enlightened and changed. The problem is that people think the fight is over, that we did it, we won the right of equality. The truth is that the women's movement has won many battles for their cause but the war is far from over. The problem now is that the battles are less organized, the enemy is harder to pin point. The feminist waves of the past were driven by one huge issue that the people fighting for gender equality could all come together and fight for. Now, it's not so simple. The solution is making people aware of the problems equality is facing today and giving them ways to help in the cause.

    ReplyDelete